November 15, 2012

Interesting things are on the horizon!

Med-El has come out with a unit called the RONDO that combines the processor with the mic and headpiece. It eliminates the need for cords or anything worn on the ear. I have my questions. The first one being wouldn't a person need a stronger magnet, thus risking skin breakdown? I think it wouldn't be great for a toddler or child, as there is a greater risk of losing the entire processor. However, with that being said, I think great things are on the horizon for implant users. I could see this being a fantastic option for an adult. It's almost a complete "freedom." I foresee the other companies eventually following suit to develop a similar product, as they are always competing to give their patients the best technology. Here is a link from the Cochlear Implant HELP website to the information on the RONDO.

http://cochlearimplanthelp.com/2012/11/08/med-el-announces-the-rondo-single-unit-processor/

No comments:

Post a Comment