December 5, 2012

We have an /s/!

Apparently Audrena just needed to get used to hearing the /s/ because she is now responding to it, even with the speech hoop! She is now hearing all 6 ling sounds, which represent the range for hearing speech.

Last week was our last session at USD until the winter break is over in January. It went really well. Audrena was very engaged during the session. I love that she can be in one room with the clinical grad students, and I can be in the observation room with K. (SLP) & J. (Audiologist), watching through the one-way glass because we can be having our own conversation without interrupting Audrena. We were discussing how things were going. I am, by nature, always hard on myself. I always think I should be doing better, no matter what the situation. So K. & J. took a moment to stop me in my tracks. They reminded me that Audrena has basically made a year of progress in just under 4 months. That really put things into perspective for me. I had been thinking she should be saying more words by now, but K. also reminded me that this is kind of like a volcano. There will be all sorts of things bubbling under the surface before we see an eruption of language. I think I needed those reminders! Logically, I know those things, but I always want something more, especially for Audrena because I want so much to see her excel, for her own benefit in life. And as if to tell me I was worrying for nothing, before we left Audrena reached out to me and said, "Up!" Up is something she has said randomly for awhile, but within the last week we have seen more of it and with a definite purpose.

We have also received Audrena's T-comm (photo at about the middle of the linked web page)! It's a new accessory for her Neptune which will fit over hear ear to bring the sound in at a natural placement, at the opening of the ear. Currently, the mic on the headpiece is where the sound is "located" for her, so it is more towards the back of her head. She will likely not use the T-comm for awhile, but it is new, so it is being offered at a discounted price for a limited time. We just knew we wanted her to have it because eventually it will make things like talking on the phone much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment