April 8, 2013

Usher Syndrome Type 2C

 UPDATE: I felt the need to come back and update this post as we have learned that Audrena's Usher Syndrome diagnosis was a mistake. Here is the post where we learned she does not have Usher Syndrome.

Last week was hard, to say the least. Monday morning, Audrena had her two year well-check. While Randy was at the doctor with her, he received a call from the geneticist. Audrena's test results had come back. She has Usher Syndrome Type 2C. Our worst fears were realized. For those who are unfamiliar, Usher Syndrome is a deaf-blind genetic condition. It means that Audrena will eventually begin to lose her eyesight to Retinitis Pigmentosa. It will start with night vision loss and progress to loss of peripheral vision, leaving her with only central/tunnel vision. There is no cure.

Thankfully, Randy was at the doctor's office when he received the call. He had the opportunity to sit down with our much-loved family doctor for a heart-to-heart. She is such a wise woman! She said something to the effect of, "Listen to me. When you look at Audrena, don't see the label. SHE is NOT Usher Syndrome. SHE is Audrena. She is your beautiful baby girl, and she will be just fine." She had other things to say, too, but I wasn't there to hear them. Randy left with her home phone number in hand. She had given it to him in case we needed her after hours.

He came right home to tell me the news. It felt like someone literally ripped my heart out. My baby is going to go blind, and I can't stop it. As if being deaf wasn't enough. I cried. Hard. I think it was actually more emotionally taxing for me in those first hours than losing my parents. Sure, losing my parents was pure awful. Those were two of the worst times in my life! I don't want to belittle that at all! But you expect your parents to die at some point. You don't expect your child to be deaf AND blind. I wondered if she will ever drive a car, play sports, get married and have children, if she will do all those things that seeing people take for granted. I started immediately developing a bucket list in my mind of experiences I want her to have before she becomes legally blind: stargaze, walk on the beach, see the ocean, visit the grand canyon, read, read, read, etc.

It did get easier, though. I have said before that if I don't have information and a plan I am lost. So the first thing I did when I could compose myself enough was to e-mail two parents of children with Usher Syndrome. I needed information, and I needed firsthand advice. Thankfully, they were quick to respond with comforting words, resources, and hope.

We learned that Type 2C is one of the most rare and least aggressive types of Usher Syndrome. Of course, it varies from person to person, but the fact that we might have 10-15 good years before Audrena has any vision loss is helpful. There is a wealth of research happening right now, and things look promising. Gene therapy has restored vision in some children with LCA, a form of Retinitis Pigmentosa. And they are in the early stages of clinical trials for Usher Syndrome gene therapy. Other research targeted at RP is also happening. So with any hope, there might be medical advancements in time for Audrena to benefit from them. And we need to have hope.

 In the meantime, our geneticist admitted to Randy that she is not very familiar with Usher Syndrome. But she worked hard to find him the answers to our immediate questions and quickly contacted an expert at the University of Iowa, who directed her to a pediatric ophthalmologist and a pediatric otolaryngologist who, if I understand correctly, is also in charge of the genetic testing. Audrena's genetic testing was done through that lab. Also, from what have read on the internet, the pediatric ophthalmologist specializes in juvenile inherited eye diseases and has been involved in rodent and human molecular trials for retinal disorders. We have been told my several doctors and even some parents that the University of Iowa, and this doctor, are some of the best in the country. So now we are working on getting an appointment set up with them.

We may not be able to beat Retinitis Pigmentosa, but we will sure do whatever we can to slow it down! I have been reading about the use of Vitamin A palmitate, DHA, and Omega-3 to slow down the progression. From what I understand, though, they cannot be used until age 6. But that's something we will ask the doctors about. We will also be looking into Transitions lenses and/or prescription sunglasses for Audrena because the sun's rays have been shown to speed up the progression of RP.

It might also be possible for us to meet with a doctor at Boys Town who works with Usher Syndrome. We should hear something about that in the coming days as well. A friend gave me two e-mail contacts: a person with Usher's and the parents of a child with Usher's. I searched for Usher Syndrome blogs, and I did e-mail a person who has Type 2. Our SD School for the Deaf Outreach Consultant provided me with two contacts as well. When we were getting familiar with cochlear implants, it helped to talk to people who had them, or whose children had them. This is the same situation for us. It is helping to connect with others who are affected by Usher Syndrome. And we will continue to hope and pray for a cure.

4 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine the emotional turbulence you and your family must be passing through right now. My son is deaf (CI surgery two weeks from today for his first ear) but we haven't gotten the genetic testing done yet. We started the process, but they found he had Duane's syndrome in his left eye, which delayed the blood draw and testing until after his CT scans. Duane's has been associated with severely malformed or absent cochleas, so my heart was in my throat between the diagnosis and the CT scan that showed he had normal cochleas and was a good candidate for CIs. But there is still the genetic testing, and all that it might show...anyway, you are strong for sharing, and your amazing daughter is lucky to have such a resourceful and creative woman as hemom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen,

    Good luck with your son's CI surgery! It has been an amazing journey watching Audrena progress with hers, and we are so excited for her to get the second CI.

    What a relief to get the news that your son's cochlear shape is normal! I can relate to waiting on pins and needles for the CT scan results.

    Carri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about Audrena's diagnosis. My son just turned 1 and he was diagnosed with profound bilateral hearing loss at birth. He will have a cochlear implant in his left ear within the next couple of months, and most likely the right ear down the road. My boyfriend and I have not yet wanted to have genetics testing done, though the more we go along, we find it might be necessary. It's scary to think something else might be going on, but it's better to find out now. Seems like Audrena has a lot of great supporters around her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, having been down that road and knowing what I know now, I am a big advocate of any child with hearing loss being genetically tested. When Audrena was diagnosed with profound hearing loss, and then when her CT and MRI showed such an abnormal vestibular system, I just thought it was a birth defect. I had no idea that hearing loss is often genetically linked, whether it is part of a syndrome or not. Thankfully our doctors and audiologists recommended genetic testing, and we listened. Otherwise we wouldn't know about Usher's. We wouldn't know to protect Audrena's eyes as best we can in the coming years. Even if you learn there is no genetic component to the hearing loss, it's still peace of mind for the parents. I'm not trying to preach. I'm just trying to say that I do think genetic testing is important.

      Most importantly, though, good luck on your son's implant surgery! It's not as scary as it seems (although any surgery is scary for a parent), and your son's life will drastically change! We have watched Audrena blossom in ways that never would have been possible without the implant. Every time Audrena's teacher of the deaf sees her, she is amazed at the progress. WE are amazed every single day. I'll keep you all in my thoughts in the coming months! If you need anything, don't hesitate to contact me. :)

      Delete